Notice: The City of Bowling Green and Warren County have sustained severe damages on December 11th due to severe weather and tornadoes. For the latest information, please visit:

Home Occupations (Home Based Businesses)

The City of Bowling Green permits occupants of a residential structure to operate certain types of business within the home, subject to specific standards and, in some cases, the issuance of a Conditional Use Permit.

Some home occupations are permitted by right if a set of eight criteria are met (such as no signage, no customer visits, etc.).  Some home occupations require a Conditional Use Permit; these include:

  • Tutoring
  • Music Lessons
  • Catering
  • Child Care
  • Alterations
  • Hair Salon
  • Lawn Care
  • Photography studio

As a citizen it is my responsibility to...

Abide by the standards for "by right" home occupations, to obtain a Conditional Use Permit, or file a complaint about a business being conducted out of a home.  Contact the City-County Planning Commission with the property address and information regarding the home occupation.

It is the responsibility of the city to...

Provide information about the standards for allowing home occupations.  Review and act upon an application for a Conditional Use Permit (through the Board of Adjustments).  Investigate complaints and take any necessary action.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

City-County Planning Commission, 1141 State St., (270) 842-1953

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.