Winter Fire Safety Tips
- November 8, 2017
- Fire Department
- Marlee Boenig - 270-393-3120
- Bowling Green, KY
In order to help reduce the potential for fires during the winter months, citizens are encouraged to follow these lifesaving tips. They may also call the Bowling Green Fire Department at 270-393-3702 for any further questions.
- Make sure all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly and repair/replace them as needed.
- Plan and practice exit drills in your home with all household members.
- Place portable heaters, space heaters and wood or coal burning stoves at least 36" away from furniture, walls, curtains or anything else that can burn.
- Have fireplaces and heating units checked and cleaned once per year by a professional.
- Always turn off space heaters when you leave home or go to bed.
- Let liquid fueled heaters cool down before refueling them. Refuel the heater outdoors, away from structures where spills won't present a fire hazard. Use only the fuel recommended.
- Never install unvented gas heaters in bedrooms or bathrooms where carbon monoxide can build up to dangerous levels.
- Use fireplace screens to protect your home from sparks.
- Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood in your fireplace or wood stove.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Purchase a fire extinguisher and learn how to properly use it.
Is there anything wrong with this page?
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.